Elk Valley - Swallowtail Loop Hike
Join volunteer naturalist Peter Laux for an 8-mile hike on two loops at the south end of the park. We will go out Elk Valley trail then south to Douglas County Swallowtail Loop, have lunch on the rocks, and return to the Visitor Center on the old red-dirt road DC5. There are some steep sections on the old road and total elevation gain will be about 1,000 ft. (304m). See old homesteads, great views, and interesting rocks along the way. Bring water, lunch/trail snacks, and appropriate clothing. Meet at the visitor center. Reservations required. Call 303 973 3959.
- 21st Century Learning Framework
- Environmental Literacy
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the environment and the circumstances and conditions affecting it, particularly as relates to air, climate, land, food, energy, water and ecosystems
- Benchmarks for Conservation Literacy
- Outdoor Participation
- Participate regularly in nature-related outdoor recreation.
- Exhibit responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others in nature-related outdoor recreation.